Wednesday 9 April 2014

Week 7 - 24th Feb - 18th Mar - Set making process

The first stage I took was to paper mache the front and sides of the house to give a nice wall render texture. I will not be decorating the back on the cottage as it will not be seen in the animation.


Using the same technique as the walls, I did the same for the chimney for a base coat. I then scrunch up newspaper and shaped them into cobble type bricks and built up the chimney, coating in PVA glue to secure. 


Painted the roof a base colour before I started tiling the roof. 

To make the roof tiles I stuck some sandpaper on cardboard using PVA and cut out each tile. I didn't want the tiles to all be the exact same size and shape as I wanted it to look more hand made and unique. 


Like my concept of the cottage, the roof is a combination of tiles and thatch style roof. As I was not able to get a hold of any real thatch material, I thought straw/hay would be a good alternative. I went through the hay and cut down suitable pieces into the right size. It was an extremely fiddly process! Starting from the bottom of the roof, I layered the hay in rows but waited for it dry before starting the row above. 




Picture below shows the roof progress, I also painted the house a grey colour and gave the chimney a white base colour before painting the dark red brick colour.


I painting the roof tiles are reddish brown which blended in with the sandpapers original white beige colour. This gave the tiles a nice finish as each tile varied in colour. Started to paint the thatch hay a rich red brown but realised it needed to more an oatmeal brown, so lightened it up a bit. The chimney is a very dark brick colour which continues the same colour in the interior set. I was not too sure on the colour at first but once I painted some shadows, highlight and weathering damage it really compliments the cottage colours.


Painted in the green screen windows, the colour is a bit dark so will brighten that up.


Putting in the final touches. Added a door handle, window frames and created a roof ridge to soften up the roof. To make the roof ridge I folded over a strip of cardboard and glued hay all along and once dried painted and folded it over the top of the roof. Secured it down with tape and glue.


All the trees completed and house is finished. Started to build up the small hills on the forest floor base. I did this by cutting polystyrene in to the desired shape and building it up in levels. I paper mached the entire board, taking extra care to smooth out the hills so they didn't look like steps. Then I painted a base coat of green on the hills.

After I did the paper mache I was concerned that the texture of forest floor would be very similar to the house wall render. So I decided that I would put several layers of paint on the surface to minimise the texture. I painted this a fairly dark brown. Once dried I then made a wide tooth comb and with a rich lighter brown painted on top creating different patterns. 




Below is a close up of finished forest floor



Placed the trees in the set to see if there were enough to fill the space. Once the filming starts the trees will be glued into place.


For the grass texture I applied a static grass material which was stuck down with glue. I also added in a natural forest floor material which replicated bark and soil. 


Before I shoot this scene I will add in final touches like any extra grass or forest floor material. 

Here is the final exterior set:





No comments:

Post a Comment